Ingredients for the dough:
1 cup Warm Water
3 ⅔ cups Bread Flour
1 tablespoon White Vinegar
1 tablespoon Oil
¼ teaspoon Salt
Ingredients for the apple filling:
6-8 Apples, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Lemon, zested
¼ cup Granulated Sugar
¾ cup Plain Breadcrumbs
½ cup Unsalted Butter, for brushing
Powdered Sugar, to taste
To prepare the dough:
- Combine the water, flour, vinegar, oil, and salt. Knead for about half an hour until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Place the dough into a metal bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room temperature for about an hour.
To prepare the filling:
Place the grated apples in a colander or sieve and squeeze them to get rid of the juice. Transfer the apples in a bowl, drizzle with the lemon juice and sprinkle with the cinnamon and zest. Set aside.
To pull the dough:
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cover a table or working surface with a cotton tablecloth and lightly dust the cloth with flour.
- Place the table in the middle and brush it with the butter.
- Start stretching the dough on the backs of your closed fists. Move around letting the edges hang over the table. Cut off the edges.
- Cover ⅓ of the dough with breadcrumbs and grated apples. Sprinkle with sugar and start rolling the dough. To roll the dough easily, lift one edge of the cloth and let the dough roll over the ingredients on its own.
- Fold under the edges and transfer the roll to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with butter and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-60 minutes.
- Slice, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!
If you love nuts, you can make your strudel with walnuts instead of apples. You won’t regret it! It is fluffy, juicy and unbelievably delicious. The ingredients and procedure are the same as for the apple strudel except for the filling. Take a look at the recipe.
2 cup Ground Nuts
½ cup Raisins, soaked in lukewarm water, drained
½ cup Sugar
½ teaspoon Cinnamon
2 tablespoons Grated Lemon Rind
4 tablespoons Melted Butter
3 tablespoons Sour Cream
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Spread the mixture over your strudel dough and roll it up.