Ingredients for the dough:
¼ cup Lukewarm Milk
2 ¼ teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
⅓ cup Icing Sugar
4 cups All Purpose Flour
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 ½ sticks Unsalted Butter
3 Egg Yolks
¼-½ cup Milk
Ingredients for the walnut filling:
1 ⅔ cups Ground Walnuts
½ cup Sugar
2-3 teaspoons Grated Lemon Rind
¼ cup Water
Ingredients for the poppy seed filling:
⅔ cup poppy seeds, ground
5 tablespoons Sugar
½ tablespoon Honey
¾ teaspoon Grated Lemon Rind
1 tablespoon Apricot Jam
- Preheat your oven at 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- To prepare the dough:
- Pour the lukewarm water into a bowl. Add the granulated sugar and dissolve the yeast. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the icing sugar, flour, and salt. Add the butter and mix well.
- Make a dent in the center of the flour mixture and pour the yeast there along with the egg yolks.
- Start mixing gently adding milk gradually. Knead the dough until smooth and soft.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to rest for about 2 hours.
To prepare the walnut filling:
Add the ingredients to a saucepan. Let simmer on low for about 15 minutes. Stir the mixture frequently. When done, remove and set aside to cool.
To prepare the poppy seed filling:
Follow the same procedure as for the walnut filling.
To roll the dough:
Divide the dough into two balls and roll them out into a rectangular shape.
Spread the walnut filling over one rectangle and the poppy seed over the other half of the dough.
Roll up the dough, brush with whisked egg whites and poke a few holes in the dough.
Transfer to the prepared sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!