1 ½ pounds Potatoes, scrubbed, not peeled
Salt, to taste
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 pound Onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
2 cups Sour Cream
Sweet Hungarian Paprika, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large-size pot. Fill with water and salt generously. Boil on high until tender. Drain, rinse and leave to cool. Peel and slice into rounds.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium. Add the onions and saute until soft and lightly caramelized. Set aside.
- Boil the eggs, leave to cool, peel and slice into rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Grease a baking dish with the butter.
- Layer half the potatoes, followed by half the sauteed onions and boiled eggs.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika and top with half the sour cream.
- Repeat the same with the remaining potatoes, onions, and eggs. Season with the spices and spread the remaining sour cream on top.
- Cover the dish and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.